Hotel and Conference Center in South San Jose (Structurally and Architecturally rehabilitated a 40,000 square foot unreinforced masonry turn of the century mansion into a conference center with two dining rooms and one large commercial kitchen).
The Hayes Mansion is a hotel resort in San Jose, California, United States. It was constructed originally as a mansion and has been referred to as one of the best examples of late 19th-century Mediterranean Revival architecture the Santa Clara Valley. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Originally the residence of the sprawling estate of the Hayes family, the mansion replaced the family’s wooden English Baroque style house that burned to the ground during 1899. During 1903, architect George Page was commissioned to build, if not a fireproof structure, then one featuring the latest fire safety features of the day.
Early during its history, the property operated in a completely self-sufficient manner, with its own power plant located on the grounds, as well as a post office, railroad station, carriage stop, lodgings for 40 ranch hands and even a chapel. The family also grew their own fruits and vegetables and raised their own livestock. In this idyllic setting, the Hayes brothers, Everis and Jay, raised their families, became prominent politicians, helped develop the Santa Clara Valley fruit industry and became the publishers of the newspaper San Jose Mercury. As evidence of their political influence, three U.S. Presidents have visited the mansion.
After the Hayes family sold the property during the 1950s, the building remained vacant for some time and then became dilapidated. Purchased by the City of San Jose during the 1990s, the property was renovated and expanded to its present state. The building now contains 33,000 square feet of meeting space and 214 guest rooms and is surrounded by a 20-acre park.